Friday, February 11, 2011

My Oliver +s Sewing Addiction

You know, Oliver +s patterns are like chips.  You can't make just one.  And I am obsessive, so instead of the handfull others would swipe from the bag, I take the entire bag and down it.  Or, in this case, I take all the patterns I can get, load up on them, stock up on fabric, and go into insane sewing mode.
.
Bless the hubs and his sighing over the thread & fabric scrap covered floor.  Bless him.
.
It's not like I keep this to my nook (that magical place all my fiber working is *supposed* happen in).  Oh no.  I take over the dining room table for pattern tracing, pinning, and fabric cutting.  I take over the butcher block kitchen island for the ironing.  And, because I am completely insane, I run multiple sewing machines at the same time.  You know, one for seams and the other for top-stitching in red.  Of course, the 2nd sewing machine is in the livingroom at the opposite corner of the first floor from my nook.  Toss in one dog and one 2 year old, and let's just say, it gets messy.
.
But it's all totally worth it.  I promise.
.
Because my kids' faces when they see the finished product are priceless.
.
.

.
Sailboat pants for Maria, using a vintage hankie that belonged to her great-grandmother
.

.
Size 8 Sketchbook shirt for the Brain.  Made with cotton twill
.

.

.
Size 5 Music Class skirt & blouse for the Blonde.  Skirt is black wool suiting, the blouse was made with vintage feedsack that belonged to my late grandmother
.

.
Size 5 School Photo dress for the Blonde.  Quilting cotton lined inside and out
.

.
Size 4 Puppet Show dress for the Blonde.  Reproduction feedsack with daisy buttons
.

.
Sailboat pants for the Brawn, made during the sewalong I hosted last month.  Wide grey cordaroy
.
.
LOVE this pattern line.  LOVE.  It's so nice to have clothes for my kids that don't resemble street walker wear or be covered in skulls or flames.  You know, classic, conservative, timeless, sweet, child-like clothing?  This is it.  Right here.  You NEED the Oliver +s patterns.  NEED.  Even you don't think you sew that well or have never used a pattern, Oliver +s is the place to start.
.
Do it.  You won't regret it.
.
.
.

1 comment:

  1. Wow they are all so gorgeous! I have 3 O+S patterns sitting here but the 6 month old is scheming to keep me from them :( Hopefully I can attempt my first O+S soon. I am so jealous of your insane sewing mode LOL

    ReplyDelete